Skip to main content

Using Poetry to Improve Prose, Part 1 (guest blogger)


 
I'm Aline Soules, writer, singer, and librarian.  As a writer, I choose subjects that move me and I choose my genre according to my subject matter.  My latest chapbook, Evening Sun: A Widow's Journey, emerged from my many years of widowhood and I sought, through poetry, to honor my late husband and speak about the inner journey of widowhood.  Poetry is not my only genre, however.  Currently, I'm working on a novel and I also write academic articles and reports as part of my work as a librarian.  Regardless of my writing genre, I benefit the principles of poetry to improve my end result and you can, too.  In part 1 of this blog post, I offer general ideas to polish your work and discuss grammar, usage, and word play.  Check back later for part 2.
General Ideas
·         Show, don't tell.  Whenever you can explain your point through a concrete, specific example, the more likely your reader will get the point.
·         Choose point of view with purpose.   If you want a conversational, informal approach, "I" or "we" may be your best choice.  If you are writing a formal piece, an objective point of view may serve you better. 
·         Choose the right title.  Some titles come easily; some are more difficult.  Make sure your title feels "right" to you.
 
Grammar, Usage, Word Play
·         Verbs.  Do you want the immediacy of the present tense or a description of something that happens in past tense?  Once that decision is made, make sure you choose the correct tense for time relationship:  sit, sat, has sat, had sat.  Check for consistency.  Do you want direct action or a more passive sentence structure?  Avoid participial forms, if possible:  "sit" is better than "is sitting." Are there "punchier" verbs you can choose?  Verbs are the action and strong words of your sentence.  Make the most of them.
·         Concentrate on verbs and nouns.  Adjectives and adverbs have their place, but be sparing.  For description, make sure the adjectives contribute to the meaning and aren't just "there."  Adverbs should be avoided whenever possible.  The best way to check is to remove them all as part of your final check list.  Put back only those you need.
·         Choose the right "little" words—prepositions, conjunctions, definite and indefinite articles.  Again, as part of your final check list, take them all out and put back only those you need.  This will help to make your work more dense and give it more impact.
·         Check your "references".  It's amazing how misplaced modifiers can creep into your writing.  Clauses should refer to the immediately preceding word or phrase.
·         Switch things around:  words, phrases, clauses, whole blocks of text.  Rearrange and reverse to test the order. 
·         Experiment with paragraph lengths and chapter lengths.  Shorter is lighter; longer is more dense.  What feeling do you wish to convey?
·         Highlight your best sentences and see if you can bring the rest of your work up to the level of what you highlighted.
·         Use repetition with care.
 
Aline Soules, Author
Goodreads:  Aline Soules




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Writing Chase Scenes

By Carolyn Howard-Johnson Author of  The Frugal Editor,  the winning-est  in her award-winning HowToDoItFrugally Series of books for writers This article is excerpted from some editing I did for a writer of experimental fiction when I was on a Greater Los Angeles Writers Society panel writer of any genre can apply these suggestions to the chase, getaway, or high action scene in your script or manuscript before you send it to an agent or publisher or, better still, while you are writing the first draft.  Sometimes even the most fascinating, interesting and irresistible  detail can slow down the forward movement of your story. So as much as writers are told that detail is important, purge as much as you can from your action scenes and put it somewhere else or dribble it into narrative in other places in your manuscript. In the process, ask yourself if your reader really needs to know the color of the protagonist’s eyes. As important as detail is, some is better left to t

Ampersands: Pretty Is as Pretty Does

   By Carolyn Howard-Johnson Author of the multi award-winning HowToDoItFrugally Series of books for writers   Have you noticed how ampersands turn to gibberish when they are entered into some blog services like Google's blogpsot.com? That is only the beginning of problems ampersands cause for editors, and publishers of all kinds. Many of the difficulties they cause go unnoticed except by the publishing pros we would all like to impress like agents, librarians, bookstore event directors, and the acquisition editors at Knopf!    That's why I added a new section to the second edition of the winningest book in my #HowToDoItFrugally Series of books for writers,  The Frugal Editor . Because ampersands seem to be so popular these days, it's especially important for editors and authors who publish books to know a little about their history, how to use them, and how gatekeepers and readers of Lynn Truss's famous zero-tolerance a

MARGARET FIELAND INTERVIEW (guest blogger)

When did you first know you were destined to be a writer? LOL, I never realized I was destined to be a writer -- I fell into it. I'd written poetry for years, collecting it in notebooks stacked in my attic when I wrote one I wanted to keep. This led me to several online sites and ultimately to discovering the Muse Online Writers Conference where I hooked up with Linda Barnett Johnson and joined her writers forums. She required everyone to write both fiction and poetry, so, with much trepidation, I started writing fiction. Then I got hooked on it, wrote a chapter book, took the ICL course and actually learned how to write it. Then in 2010, I was seized by a desire to write a sci fi novel, so I spent six weeks or so on world building, mostly, with a bit of plotting thrown in for good measure. Who would you cite as your influences? I'm a way-back sci-fi fan, and Robert A. Heinlein influenced me heavily. I took a lot away from his writing, notably the value of surpris