Skip to main content

INTERVIEW WITH COREY CIRCELLO


1.  Your book, Change Myself, is a book of poetry. Please tell us a bit about it? Can you share one of your poems?

The book is a great example of all different types of poems from symbolism to the straight forward, from love to hate, and from murder to marriage. Some of the poems focus on issues in today's society. Also, my favorite poem in the whole book is about my favorite poet of all time, Edgar Allen Poe. The book can make you laugh, cry, laugh again, and then make you want to stab the guy who did the girl wrong. I think that's what people like the most about my book. It focuses on the reader's emotions, not my own. The reader feels drawn in, because they can feel the same emotions that I feel when I wrote the poems.
It And He
 
It hurtled itself at him.
It hated the sight of him
Looking at her up and down.
Its chilly crimson eyes
Burn into him in
The middle of the night.
It wanted to claw
His acne scarred face.
It wanted to claw his
Black heart out.
It wanted to skin him
Alive.
It wanted to kill him.
It was me
And he was you
Before I killed you
With my bare hands.
 
2.  Do you have any other books or projects you're working on?

I am actually working on my first full length novel at the moment. It is a murder mystery based in Dandridge, Tennessee. I am also finished with the manuscript as I type this right now. All I lack is typing it up and then making the cover of the book.
The novel is going to be titled "A Backwoods Murder" and it follows the lives of two detectives as they solve the murder of John Jackson. They face multiple road blocks along the way, but they overcome them to find justice in the world. Then, their world comes crumbling down after they realize they put the wrong person behind bars.

3. Your poems are full of passion. At such a young age, how do you come to write such deep feelings poems?

I believe that some of the emotions come from personal experiences. Me and my father have not had the greatest relationship in the world. We have just now started talking again after years of not saying a word to each other. I think the pain of not having a father-figure around in my life put a lot of passion into me. I believe that also I have passion for writing and I believe that the reader feels that passion. I don't think a writer can write well without having a passion for the field.

4.  Who inspires your writing?

There are a couple of people who influence my writing. Number one is Reba McEntire's songs. I can relate to almost all of her songs and they are so full of depth and emotions and I try to replicate that in my song-like poems that you can find in my book. Number two is Nancy Grace. She is a huge role model to me. I love her murder mystery books and her television shows. Number three is Fannie Flag. Her humor is something that I love, as well. I wish I could write like her! Last and not least, Edgar Allan Poe and Sylvia Plath influence my poetry writing. Edgar was so dark and depressing, but he had a message to share. Plath (even though she stuck her head in the oven to kill herself) was full of wisdom and hidden meanings. I just wish I was half as wise as all of these great writers and singers.

5. What are you doing to improve your writing?

To improve my writing, I write every day. It doesn't have to be a lot. A sentence, a paragraph, or just a poem is enough to enhance my skills. Being in college also helps my skills, because I am writing essays all the time. The next thing I do is that I read all the time. I love seeing other writing styles other than mine. I see what they can do and I want to achieve that. I love to learn and that helps with my writing, as well.

6. What have you learned since publishing your book?

I've learned that writing the book is the easiest part of being an author. The marketing yourself and having a branding is the hardest. I took me over sixth months to come up with my branding. I now sign all of my books, "Peace and Love, Corey Circello." That's my branding. Marketing is different. There are so many ways to market yourself through radio, blogs, interviews, social media, television, and word of mouth, but people have to be willing to pick up your book before they will talk about your book. It's harder to get people to buy your book than it is to actually write it. Well, unless you are Stephen King, J.K. Rolling, or James Patterson. Then, people line up to read your books.

7. What tools do you feel are must-haves for writers?

Number one must have for an author is, of course, pens. I write everything on paper first. Then, I transfer it to my computer. I always keep my handwritten copy, just in case anything goes wrong with my computer. Also, writers need to have a good computer. Lastly, they need to have a website. That's how your fans will connect with you the easiest.

8. Is there a message in your poetry that you want your readers to grasp?

My message in my book Change Myself is that we need to change ourselves for the better. There is always something that we can change for the better. Whether it be from eating healthier to going to church more, there is always something we can change.

9. What would you like our readers to know about you?

I want my readers to know that dreams are possible to achieve. I never thought I would ever be a published author, but look at me; I am nineteen and have three books in publication with my fourth book on the way. Also, I want them to know that my fans made me who I am today. This sounds cheesy, but it is true. An author cannot sell his or her books without having fans who want to but our books.

10. How would you like to be remembered?

I would like to be remembered for making a change. I have recently stepped into the speaking world through the eWomensSpeakerNetwork. I want my books, poems, and speeches to leave an impact on someone. That's what I want to be remembered for. I don't care if people remember my books, if I am famous, or if I am even an author after today. I just want to make an impact.

Website: http://circelloc.wix.com/author 
Facebook Like Page: www.facebook.com/CoreyCircello 
Twitter page: www.twitter.com/OfficialCWC94
My eWomenNetwork Profile: http://www.ewomennetwork.com/profile/view.php?profileId=32578
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ampersands: Pretty Is as Pretty Does

   By Carolyn Howard-Johnson Author of the multi award-winning HowToDoItFrugally Series of books for writers   Have you noticed how ampersands turn to gibberish when they are entered into some blog services like Google's blogpsot.com? That is only the beginning of problems ampersands cause for editors, and publishers of all kinds. Many of the difficulties they cause go unnoticed except by the publishing pros we would all like to impress like agents, librarians, bookstore event directors, and the acquisition editors at Knopf!    That's why I added a new section to the second edition of the winningest book in my #HowToDoItFrugally Series of books for writers,  The Frugal Editor . Because ampersands seem to be so popular these days, it's especially important for editors and authors who publish books to know a little about their history, how to use them, and how gatekeepers and readers of Lynn Truss's famous zero-tolerance a

On Writing Chase Scenes

By Carolyn Howard-Johnson Author of  The Frugal Editor,  the winning-est  in her award-winning HowToDoItFrugally Series of books for writers This article is excerpted from some editing I did for a writer of experimental fiction when I was on a Greater Los Angeles Writers Society panel writer of any genre can apply these suggestions to the chase, getaway, or high action scene in your script or manuscript before you send it to an agent or publisher or, better still, while you are writing the first draft.  Sometimes even the most fascinating, interesting and irresistible  detail can slow down the forward movement of your story. So as much as writers are told that detail is important, purge as much as you can from your action scenes and put it somewhere else or dribble it into narrative in other places in your manuscript. In the process, ask yourself if your reader really needs to know the color of the protagonist’s eyes. As important as detail is, some is better left to t

MARGARET FIELAND INTERVIEW (guest blogger)

When did you first know you were destined to be a writer? LOL, I never realized I was destined to be a writer -- I fell into it. I'd written poetry for years, collecting it in notebooks stacked in my attic when I wrote one I wanted to keep. This led me to several online sites and ultimately to discovering the Muse Online Writers Conference where I hooked up with Linda Barnett Johnson and joined her writers forums. She required everyone to write both fiction and poetry, so, with much trepidation, I started writing fiction. Then I got hooked on it, wrote a chapter book, took the ICL course and actually learned how to write it. Then in 2010, I was seized by a desire to write a sci fi novel, so I spent six weeks or so on world building, mostly, with a bit of plotting thrown in for good measure. Who would you cite as your influences? I'm a way-back sci-fi fan, and Robert A. Heinlein influenced me heavily. I took a lot away from his writing, notably the value of surpris