Skip to main content

Interview with Sarah Elliston





1.    Give a brief synopsis of your book, Lessons From a Difficult Person?
Sarah Elliston never realized she was "a difficult person." She wasn't intentionally mean-spirited. She was just trying to do what she thought was RIGHT!   A kind boss woke her up with great compassion, and strength.  This began a transformation journey towards the woman teaching others how to deal with difficult people.  The book describes her experience and offers readers an opportunity to explore their relationship with a difficult person.  She offers exercises in how to awaken the challenging personality, and improve the relationship
 
2.    What got you into writing? 
            I have always loved to write and did well in school and in my professional reports.  I              have always journaled and when all else fails, I find writing clears my mind. 
 
3.    What genres do you like to read?
My favorite books are about fictional crime solving, and mysteries.  I like historical fiction and I enjoy poetry.  I find poetry challenging to write but I love to read something where the exact word paints a picture for the senses. 
 
 
4.    What made you decide to write this particular book?
I wrote this particular book because I was teaching workshops on Dealing with Difficult People and wanted to share my concepts of healing with more people.  Participants wanted a level two workshop and I thought having the book would help them remember the concepts as well as take time to really do the suggested exercises. 
 
5.    How much time and effort do you put into marketing?
Not very much. I like talking about the content but  I find it difficult to just throw it out at people.
 
6.    Do you have any works in mind that you've not yet written?  If so, what are they?
Well, one title is "Everything I needed to know about relationships I learned by being a volunteer coordinator."  And the other one is another Lessons From a Difficult Person book, it is about how people change, how I changed, and again, what others can do to help us change. 
 
7.    If there is one thing that stands out about your writing, what is it?  
I am willing to be vulnerable, to share my personal thoughts, feelings, and experience.  My writing is literal and concrete.  I explain things well and I always throw in some humor.  People aren't usually confused about what I am saying. 
 
8.    What inspired you to write your book?
I went to a weekend workshop where I was told I could write a book in 4 days.  I got so involved in it that I couldn't stop.  I am very personally invested In the content. 
 
9.    Where can potential readers find your work?
 
10.              Where can readers connect with you socially online?
Yes, I have a Facebook author page, Sarah Elliston Author and my twitter handle is @mainesam (because I went to school there) and I am on LinkedIn as Sarah H. Elliston.  The best way to contact me is through the website. 
 

 

 
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ampersands: Pretty Is as Pretty Does

   By Carolyn Howard-Johnson Author of the multi award-winning HowToDoItFrugally Series of books for writers   Have you noticed how ampersands turn to gibberish when they are entered into some blog services like Google's blogpsot.com? That is only the beginning of problems ampersands cause for editors, and publishers of all kinds. Many of the difficulties they cause go unnoticed except by the publishing pros we would all like to impress like agents, librarians, bookstore event directors, and the acquisition editors at Knopf!    That's why I added a new section to the second edition of the winningest book in my #HowToDoItFrugally Series of books for writers,  The Frugal Editor . Because ampersands seem to be so popular these days, it's especially important for editors and authors who publish books to know a little about their history, how to use them, and how gatekeepers and readers of Lynn Truss's famous zero-tolerance a

On Writing Chase Scenes

By Carolyn Howard-Johnson Author of  The Frugal Editor,  the winning-est  in her award-winning HowToDoItFrugally Series of books for writers This article is excerpted from some editing I did for a writer of experimental fiction when I was on a Greater Los Angeles Writers Society panel writer of any genre can apply these suggestions to the chase, getaway, or high action scene in your script or manuscript before you send it to an agent or publisher or, better still, while you are writing the first draft.  Sometimes even the most fascinating, interesting and irresistible  detail can slow down the forward movement of your story. So as much as writers are told that detail is important, purge as much as you can from your action scenes and put it somewhere else or dribble it into narrative in other places in your manuscript. In the process, ask yourself if your reader really needs to know the color of the protagonist’s eyes. As important as detail is, some is better left to t

MARGARET FIELAND INTERVIEW (guest blogger)

When did you first know you were destined to be a writer? LOL, I never realized I was destined to be a writer -- I fell into it. I'd written poetry for years, collecting it in notebooks stacked in my attic when I wrote one I wanted to keep. This led me to several online sites and ultimately to discovering the Muse Online Writers Conference where I hooked up with Linda Barnett Johnson and joined her writers forums. She required everyone to write both fiction and poetry, so, with much trepidation, I started writing fiction. Then I got hooked on it, wrote a chapter book, took the ICL course and actually learned how to write it. Then in 2010, I was seized by a desire to write a sci fi novel, so I spent six weeks or so on world building, mostly, with a bit of plotting thrown in for good measure. Who would you cite as your influences? I'm a way-back sci-fi fan, and Robert A. Heinlein influenced me heavily. I took a lot away from his writing, notably the value of surpris