Skip to main content

Secrets, Diary of a Gutsy Teen by Dr. Barbara Becker Holstein

Why did you decide to write this book? Secrets is a natural outgrowth of The Truth, Diary of a Gutsy Tween.  Afterall, we all grow older, whether we wish to stop time or not, and so does the girl.  I wanted to take her into her early teen years in this book, so she could come alive with so many of the issues, feelings and happenings that we all go through or have gone through. 

Can you tell us a bit about the book?  You know, I'm a positive psychologist and a school psychologist.  So Secrets, Diary of a Gutsy Teen is more than light fiction.  It is a girl's story that has within it so many issues and feelings that can be discussed and processed.  Some of these are a crush (who hasn't had one), having to move, family issues including parents that fight, sibling problems including a baby, best friends, both old and new, school bullies, worries about illness and death in the extended family, family secrets.  And I could go on with the list!  The girl deals, handles and lives through all of the above. 

Is there a message in your story that you want your readers to grasp?  Yes, I want to the reader to realize that growing up is not a piece of cake, but we all do it and the more we help kids work their way through some difficulties the more likely they will grow up strong and resilient!
Do you have any projects you’re working on right now?  Yes, I am contemplating the third book in this series, how old should the girl now be?  What should happen to her? And I just revised the play version, The Locket,  of The Truth and Secrets, which I am planning to produce soon.  You can find girls playing The Girl and her best friend Angela on my You Tube Playlists: The Truth, Diary of a Gutsy Tween, The Truth and Secrets. I am also getting ready to work on the next installment in my romance mystery book for women: Around Every Corner, Romance & Mystery....

What would you like our readers to know about you? As I mentioned above I am a psychologist so I bring the passion of helping people to my endeavors as an author!

For what one accomplishment would you most like to be remembered? That is hard.  I would say I would like to be remembered as a Pathfinder in the field of Positive Psychology for Women and I would like the Girl in both The Truth and Secrets to be known as a special girl, like Laura in Little House on the Prairie, who reaches out via her life and feelings to millions of other girls! 

Can you share your website and any sites you'd like us to see?  www.thetruthforgirls.com,www.enchantedself.com,  Dr Barbara Becker Holstein: Psychologist & Author on Facebook,www.authors&technology.com , Truth4girls@twitter.com

What steps do you take to market your book?  My books were picked up by Sky Pony Press which has greatly helped in the marketing of them. 
Where can our readers find your book(s)?  Amazon and all other outlets and stores.

Thank you for doing the interview. Is there anything you'd like to add? Love to hear from anyone who reads Secrets, Diary of a Gutsy Teen.  Write to me at drbarbara@enchantedself.com and also put up a review on Amazon, Goodreads, etc.  Thank you so much for a chance to talk about Secrets, Diary of a Gutsy Teen!


Comments

  1. Wow, thanks so much for letting me share my ideas about Secrets, Diary of a Gutsy Teen. Loved talking to you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ampersands: Pretty Is as Pretty Does

   By Carolyn Howard-Johnson Author of the multi award-winning HowToDoItFrugally Series of books for writers   Have you noticed how ampersands turn to gibberish when they are entered into some blog services like Google's blogpsot.com? That is only the beginning of problems ampersands cause for editors, and publishers of all kinds. Many of the difficulties they cause go unnoticed except by the publishing pros we would all like to impress like agents, librarians, bookstore event directors, and the acquisition editors at Knopf!    That's why I added a new section to the second edition of the winningest book in my #HowToDoItFrugally Series of books for writers,  The Frugal Editor . Because ampersands seem to be so popular these days, it's especially important for editors and authors who publish books to know a little about their history, how to use them, and how gatekeepers and readers of Lynn Truss's famous zero-tolerance a

On Writing Chase Scenes

By Carolyn Howard-Johnson Author of  The Frugal Editor,  the winning-est  in her award-winning HowToDoItFrugally Series of books for writers This article is excerpted from some editing I did for a writer of experimental fiction when I was on a Greater Los Angeles Writers Society panel writer of any genre can apply these suggestions to the chase, getaway, or high action scene in your script or manuscript before you send it to an agent or publisher or, better still, while you are writing the first draft.  Sometimes even the most fascinating, interesting and irresistible  detail can slow down the forward movement of your story. So as much as writers are told that detail is important, purge as much as you can from your action scenes and put it somewhere else or dribble it into narrative in other places in your manuscript. In the process, ask yourself if your reader really needs to know the color of the protagonist’s eyes. As important as detail is, some is better left to t

MARGARET FIELAND INTERVIEW (guest blogger)

When did you first know you were destined to be a writer? LOL, I never realized I was destined to be a writer -- I fell into it. I'd written poetry for years, collecting it in notebooks stacked in my attic when I wrote one I wanted to keep. This led me to several online sites and ultimately to discovering the Muse Online Writers Conference where I hooked up with Linda Barnett Johnson and joined her writers forums. She required everyone to write both fiction and poetry, so, with much trepidation, I started writing fiction. Then I got hooked on it, wrote a chapter book, took the ICL course and actually learned how to write it. Then in 2010, I was seized by a desire to write a sci fi novel, so I spent six weeks or so on world building, mostly, with a bit of plotting thrown in for good measure. Who would you cite as your influences? I'm a way-back sci-fi fan, and Robert A. Heinlein influenced me heavily. I took a lot away from his writing, notably the value of surpris