Skip to main content

Interview with author, Catherine MacDonald

 
1.  I know this is the sequel to Seasons of the Vineyard. Can you tell us a little about Romancing the Vines? From Sonoma, Italy, and the Middle Ages Francesca travels to uncover the truth of the wine and the two men who have fought over her for centuries. Romancing the Vines is the sweeping romance of Francesca, Enrico, and Giancarlo and the secret to the wine that has been eluding her for centuries.
Do you have any websites, facebook, twitter, etc., that you would like to share with our readers? Yes. My website is www.superenovel.com.
 
My facebook is https://www.facebook.com/#!/catherine.macdonald.5872, and my twitter is cathiemacdonald@twitter.com 
 
2.  How is this book different from Seasons of the Vineyard? This book completes the tale of the three main characters: Francesca, Enrico, and Giancarlo. What the reader discovers is that the conflict between the three of them has been going on for centuries, not just the current lifetime.
 
3.  How do you go about building your plot? I start with a basic three-act play outline. I have an idea. I sketch, develop my characters and setting, and then I write the "shitty" first draft, which I liken to the frame of the story. Once I have a frame, I let it sit for a while. Next I re-read it, writing notes, then I re-write the story and develop it further.
 
4.  What kind of message does your book relate to the reader? Hmm. Perhaps you've lived before and you'll live again, but you'll still have the same troubles unless you confront them and deal with them.
 
5.  What are your characters like? Nothing like me! Francesca loves to cook and hasn't had much success in the relationship department. (I have been married for 37 years.) Enrico is consumed with hatred for Giancarlo, and lets his anger take control of his emotions. He doesn't have what it takes to be a vintner. Giancarlo is sexy, rich, and the top vintner in the valley. When he loses everything, he does not despair and rolls up his sleeves and gets to work.
 
6.  How do you compose your characters? Usually, I have a vision of the character. Then I sit down and write them out, creating a back story so I know everything about them.
 
7.  What surprise, if any, will we find in this book compared to Seasons? You'll visit the Middle Ages! Also, there are a few twists you won't expect, but when you step back and examine it, you'll see the foreshadowing.
 
8.  Will there be a third in the sequel? I'm never going to say never.
 
9.  Where do you get your ideas to write a book? Sometimes they come from life. Sometimes I read an article that plants a seed. The Divorce Ranch is a good example of this. Romancing the Vines came from a trip to France and the vineyards and castles we visited. Seasons of the Vineyard came from all my trips to the Sonoma Valley.
 
10. Do you have anything in the works right now? Yes, I do. A Matter of Necessity: set in the 1920s during Prohibition. The Buddha and The Bear, which is a fable. The frame of this story is complete. Now I just need to re-write and let the magic dance on the page.
 
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ampersands: Pretty Is as Pretty Does

   By Carolyn Howard-Johnson Author of the multi award-winning HowToDoItFrugally Series of books for writers   Have you noticed how ampersands turn to gibberish when they are entered into some blog services like Google's blogpsot.com? That is only the beginning of problems ampersands cause for editors, and publishers of all kinds. Many of the difficulties they cause go unnoticed except by the publishing pros we would all like to impress like agents, librarians, bookstore event directors, and the acquisition editors at Knopf!    That's why I added a new section to the second edition of the winningest book in my #HowToDoItFrugally Series of books for writers,  The Frugal Editor . Because ampersands seem to be so popular these days, it's especially important for editors and authors who publish books to know a little about their history, how to use them, and how gatekeepers and readers of Lynn Truss's famous zero-tolerance a

On Writing Chase Scenes

By Carolyn Howard-Johnson Author of  The Frugal Editor,  the winning-est  in her award-winning HowToDoItFrugally Series of books for writers This article is excerpted from some editing I did for a writer of experimental fiction when I was on a Greater Los Angeles Writers Society panel writer of any genre can apply these suggestions to the chase, getaway, or high action scene in your script or manuscript before you send it to an agent or publisher or, better still, while you are writing the first draft.  Sometimes even the most fascinating, interesting and irresistible  detail can slow down the forward movement of your story. So as much as writers are told that detail is important, purge as much as you can from your action scenes and put it somewhere else or dribble it into narrative in other places in your manuscript. In the process, ask yourself if your reader really needs to know the color of the protagonist’s eyes. As important as detail is, some is better left to t

MARGARET FIELAND INTERVIEW (guest blogger)

When did you first know you were destined to be a writer? LOL, I never realized I was destined to be a writer -- I fell into it. I'd written poetry for years, collecting it in notebooks stacked in my attic when I wrote one I wanted to keep. This led me to several online sites and ultimately to discovering the Muse Online Writers Conference where I hooked up with Linda Barnett Johnson and joined her writers forums. She required everyone to write both fiction and poetry, so, with much trepidation, I started writing fiction. Then I got hooked on it, wrote a chapter book, took the ICL course and actually learned how to write it. Then in 2010, I was seized by a desire to write a sci fi novel, so I spent six weeks or so on world building, mostly, with a bit of plotting thrown in for good measure. Who would you cite as your influences? I'm a way-back sci-fi fan, and Robert A. Heinlein influenced me heavily. I took a lot away from his writing, notably the value of surpris