Skip to main content

INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR KYTKA HILMAR-JEZEK





AUTHOR OF: BOOK POWER: A PLATFORM FOR WRITING, BRANDING, POSITIONING & PUBLSIHING


1) Why did you decide to write this book?

I made the decision to write Book Power because of the requests I have had in teaching the live course. I self published my first book 20 years ago and so many things in the industry have changed since then. Many vanity publishers took advantage of people, others essentially pre sold overpriced copies to their authors. It was not really a good space to be in. Additionally, self published authors were frowned upon by traditional publishing houses and their voices were blocked from being heard. When Amazon launched CreateSpace, I moved my self published book there and also uploaded numerous other books. \My niches were small, but for many years I have a consistent royalty which comes to me each month. When I want to activate sales, I do an interview or a podcast and that jumps promotions. I like that the control is in my hands, and whether I choose to promote or not, royalties keep coming. So I began to share my journey of how I did it - the mistakes to avoid, the short cuts and so on. Joseph Epstein, an author discovered a study that shared “81 percent of Americans feel that they have a book in them — and should write it.” That means that approx. 200 million people want to write a book. They want their messages to be heard. As I said, I began having live training events where I taught what I had learned and I understand that not all people can attend an event, so I summarized my teaching into the book.

2) Do you have any projects you’re working on right now?

Absolutely, again - not everyone can attend a live training and often times people get stuck in the book because they are more visual, they need someone to take them by the hand and guide them step-by-step. I just completed a full video training product that aspiting authors can watch on DVD or digitally on their computers. It helps a lot of people to have this option and we have a private Facebook group where I check every day if anyone needs help, etc. It's exciting to see authors dreams of a book come manifest. The training site is at www.BookPowerTraining.com

3) What things are you doing to improve your writing?

Interesting that you ask this. I teach my students to speak their books into being. To record themselves during moments of flow and clarity and then have those audios transcribed to use for their writing. And, I practice what I preach. So my first edit of Book Power went off to a few people I was interested in asking to write the foreword. One came back with a comment that it was written as though English is my second language, which was funny because actually, it is. But he had the pre-edited and very rough version and it's been cleaned up grammatically since. So to improve my writing, I am focusing on improving my speaking. It brought an awareness that even though I have lived in the US most of my life, I do think in Czech and speak as if directly translating.

4) What tools do you feel are must-haves for writers?

A recording device. Access to inexpensive transcription services. I use several of the providers on Fiverr.com. I type "transcribe 15 minutes" into the search box and numerous providers show up. Make sure to read the reviews and only use those who have reviews.

5) What author do you admire, living or dead?

As a lover of books, this is an impossible question to answer. Having passed through many life stages and having many moods, I read based on what is happening in my life at the time. When I was a new mother I loved Jean Liedloff and Ashley Montagu. As a homeschooling parent I enjoyed Alphie Kohn, John Holt and John Taylor Gatto. As a woman I connected with the works of Jalaja Bonheim and Clarissa Pinkola Estés. When I lived in Central America I fell in love with Giaconda Belli and Subcomandante Marcos. I enjoy Derrick Jensen, Thom Hartmann, Jospeh Chilton Pearce and Jerry Mander. All non fiction, all on the edge - those who challenge barriers and push for moving humanity forward.

6) What recent book made an impression on you?

The Alphabet Versus the Goddess: The Conflict Between Word and Image by Leonard Shlain. It was a fascinating look at how the rise of alphabetic literacy reconfigured the human brain and brought about profound changes in history, religion, and gender relations.

7) For what one accomplishment would you most like to be remembered?

Helping people to dispense their fears and live the life of their dreams. Everyone I meet has immense passion inside of them but is afraid to let it out. They are cautious of using their unique voice afraid they will be scorned, judged, measured, etc. Yet their journey is unique and has immense value, especially to others who may be on a similar path. Sharing one's journey is a form of storytelling that helps fellow man. It is a gift we give to others, to lighten their loads and ease their burdens. But in today's culture we are afraid to speak of any mistakes or weaknesses we encountered. We feel we need to appear perfect. Fortunately, the self publishing industry has opened the doors for those brave enough to share to do so, and the books coming our now are true to life, inspirational, impactful (I know that's not a word - but I use it all of the time!) and so helpful for us as a whole.

8) Tell us about your family.

My family is amazing. My children are my best friends. I have 3, Zachary 20, Zanna 15 and Zynnia 12. All three are outgoing, intelligent, inquisitive and entrepreneurs. They grew up with a lot of travel and seeing other places, other cultures and I believe that gives them a deeper understanding of humanity. They attend all events with me and are my assistants and business partners. They are encouraged to use their unique voices to make a difference and they do. They've all written books and have various blog and website projects. My son and my youngest daughter are also speakers. They are movers and shakers and represent the best of what "learning all the time" looks like. They inspire a lot of people!

9) What would you like our readers to know about you?

I've always been a pioneer and on the cutting edge - I am fascinated with people who test the boundaries and shift the status quo. I strongly believe we are constantly growing and evolving and I love the people who are not afraid to lead. There's a great video that's gone viral on YouTube called "Leadership from a Dancing Guy" where Michael Hughes narrates how movements are made. My heroes are ones that Steve Jobs referred to as "The Crazy Ones" from his famous quote. I believe that authors are leaders, especially when they do not censor themselves and they share and bring forth that which is inside of them. I guess I'd like readers to know that I am super passionate about authors - those brave enough to believe in their voices enough to commit the time to create their books and put them out there.

10) Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members.

My business partner and friend Robert. No matter what kind of day I am having, what life phase I am going through - he is a pillar of strength and gratitude in my life. He sees the potential, not only in me but in all people. When you have a strong support system and someone who believes in you, that is a very powerful asset and an incredible gift. I value him very much.

11) Is there a message in your book that you want your readers to grasp?

Let your voice be heard. Whether you want to write non fiction to grow your business, remember that ultimately they are buying the relationship with you. Hence the reason it's so important to share what you know and in your own voice. If you are writing an inspirational book, be honest and true. Share all of the journey, the good, the bad and the ugly. Debbie Ford, may she rest in piece, wrote a wonderful book entitled "The Secret of the Shadow: The Power of Owning Your Story" where she shares her story and her work with others to reclaim their voices. What more people need to understand is that it is the "stuff" that we are usually most ashamed of or that was most difficult for us that formed who we are today. It was the garbage and struggle we had to wade through to come out on the other side. In our psyche, we are wired to resonate with the Heroes journey and yet culture seems to tell us the opposite. It tells us "I'm ok, you're ok" and just keep smiling. But that is not how life works. We are given the challenges so we over come. We fall flat on our faces so that we may rise again, stronger and with more depth from the experience. I agree with Joseph Epstein that all of those people have a book inside of them - it's my mission to help them to make it happen!

12) Finally, do you have anything else to add? If you have a website or blog, please list them here.

I do... My main website is Be More Than You Are and that site serves as a summary of all of the things we are up to. I travel a lot and I have events where I go over much of what is in the book, so if you have any readers who have groups that would like me to come and speak, I am always willing to make that happen. They can learn more at the site by clicking the "Host An Event" button. If readers are interested in the book, they can learn more here: Book Power: A Platform for Writing, Branding, Positioning & Publishing. Of course, I would also like to thank you, Linda, for having me here today to share a little piece of my life with you.

Easy link to book: Book Power: A Platform for Writing, Branding, Positioning & Publishing




Biography - Kytka Hilmar-Jezek, is a Best Selling Author of Reiki for Children, Waldorf Community Exchange, Born To Learn, The Growing Entrepreneur and Book Power. She founded Waldorf Homeschoolers in 1996 and has been an active voice in alternative education since.

Known as the Expert Builder, Product Creation Wiz, Positioning Guru, Natural Parenting Expert and Raw Foods Mom, Kytka is a mover and shaker who continuously challenges the status quo and introduces people to a New Paradigm way of being. She is an international speaker and an inspirational powerhouse. She is dedicated to assisting you harness your full potential.

Kytka's speaking style is real, raw and relevant to the pressing issues of today. Her approachable personality tends to have people perceive her more as a Luminary than just a Leader, because she tends to light the path for others by being a living example of the subject matter she speaks about. As they say, "the proof is in the pudding" and you only need spend a few moments with her family to see that what she advocates and practices, works!

Awards
Education Revolution Hall of Fame
Presidential Awards for Volunteering
Presidential Awards for Community Service

Diplomas & Certifications
Doctor of Naturopathy, Clinical Hypnotheray and Psychotherapy, Certification of Complete Mind Therapy, NLP Advanced Master Practitioner, Noesiterapy, Hypnotic Pain Control, Rapid Results Pain Consultant, Master Training in Neuro Linguistic Programming, Certified Practioner of Time Empowerment, Certified Childbrith Educator, Reiki Master, Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Practitioner, Reverend, Minister, Spiritual Counselor, PhD in Religion, Missionary Doctor, Honorary Shaman

Teaching those around her to build a better 'self' through awareness of the power of possibility, Kytka uses her personal life experiences to foster paradigm shifts in the lives of those around her. She is an Award Winning Author, Speaker/Trainer and IS Supermom.

Learn more at:

http://www.DrKytka.com
httP;//www.KytkaMedia.com
http://www.BeMoreThanYouAre.com
http://www.WaldorfHomeschoolers.com

Truly a radical pioneer in parenting and a mover and shaker in life, Kytka Hilmar-Jezek is also known as the founder of Waldorf Homeschoolers. Her first bestselling book, Reiki for Children was published in 2003. She has received accolades from Reiki Healers from all over the globe for finally presenting the concept of Reiki to Children. She is also recognized in the Alternative Educational Community as a speaker on alternative education. She has been honored by The Education Revolution when they named her into their Hall of Fame. Through Kytka's positive philosophy and outspoken views on parenting techniques, hundreds have learned how to create more of what they want in their family lives. Kytka also brings inspiration to add wellness into their bodies, minds, and spirits.

Kytka has written for various parenting and wellness magazines and her articles have appeared in numerous publications and journals online. She has received awards for her contributions and thousands of letters of support for her strength, speaking and initiatives.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Writing Chase Scenes

By Carolyn Howard-Johnson Author of  The Frugal Editor,  the winning-est  in her award-winning HowToDoItFrugally Series of books for writers This article is excerpted from some editing I did for a writer of experimental fiction when I was on a Greater Los Angeles Writers Society panel writer of any genre can apply these suggestions to the chase, getaway, or high action scene in your script or manuscript before you send it to an agent or publisher or, better still, while you are writing the first draft.  Sometimes even the most fascinating, interesting and irresistible  detail can slow down the forward movement of your story. So as much as writers are told that detail is important, purge as much as you can from your action scenes and put it somewhere else or dribble it into narrative in other places in your manuscript. In the process, ask yourself if your reader really needs to know the color of the protagonist’s eyes. As important as detail is, some is better left to t

Ampersands: Pretty Is as Pretty Does

   By Carolyn Howard-Johnson Author of the multi award-winning HowToDoItFrugally Series of books for writers   Have you noticed how ampersands turn to gibberish when they are entered into some blog services like Google's blogpsot.com? That is only the beginning of problems ampersands cause for editors, and publishers of all kinds. Many of the difficulties they cause go unnoticed except by the publishing pros we would all like to impress like agents, librarians, bookstore event directors, and the acquisition editors at Knopf!    That's why I added a new section to the second edition of the winningest book in my #HowToDoItFrugally Series of books for writers,  The Frugal Editor . Because ampersands seem to be so popular these days, it's especially important for editors and authors who publish books to know a little about their history, how to use them, and how gatekeepers and readers of Lynn Truss's famous zero-tolerance a

MARGARET FIELAND INTERVIEW (guest blogger)

When did you first know you were destined to be a writer? LOL, I never realized I was destined to be a writer -- I fell into it. I'd written poetry for years, collecting it in notebooks stacked in my attic when I wrote one I wanted to keep. This led me to several online sites and ultimately to discovering the Muse Online Writers Conference where I hooked up with Linda Barnett Johnson and joined her writers forums. She required everyone to write both fiction and poetry, so, with much trepidation, I started writing fiction. Then I got hooked on it, wrote a chapter book, took the ICL course and actually learned how to write it. Then in 2010, I was seized by a desire to write a sci fi novel, so I spent six weeks or so on world building, mostly, with a bit of plotting thrown in for good measure. Who would you cite as your influences? I'm a way-back sci-fi fan, and Robert A. Heinlein influenced me heavily. I took a lot away from his writing, notably the value of surpris