Skip to main content

Interview With Author Floriana Hall

Q. Please tell us a little about yourself, your background and any important accomplishments. (If you have a website, book(s), etc., please list them and tell us about them.)

I was born in Pittsburgh, Pa. to a saintly mother and a father who I remember as loving the first seven years of my life. When I was five years old, he was hit by a streetcar and told us he had a tumor on the brain. There were other circumstances involved but he changed after that accident. Of course, the Great Depression had something to do with us moving eleven times to different cities and changing schools. We were all happy children regardless of the lack of food and the necessities of life when our father was gone for weeks at a time. Our mother baked homemade bread and even though there was not much else to eat, we never starved. She gave us her share of food when needed.
Throughout the years, she was our rock who taught us manners, morals, character and cleanliness. She taught us to forgive. And there were many things to forgive our father for, such as his lies about our Christmas gifts, his lies about his life and about us - the complex life of trying to juggle three families at the same time which he could not do. His letters of remorse to me in later years are very touching, but were they true? Or more lies? Only God knows!
One of my earlier accomplishments was that I was almost always the head of my classes and I always had many friends wherever we moved. I graduated from high school at the age of 17 and was ranked 11th in a class of 167 in June 1945. As a senior, I wrote articles for the high school newspaper. In later years, I was honored as a Distinguished Alumna of Cuyahoga Falls High School. I am recognized by several WHO'S WHO.

My family of five children, nine grandchildren and two great-granddaughters are my most important accomplishment. My husband and I have been married for 61 years.

I founded and coordinate THE POET'S NOOK each month at Cuyahoga Falls Library. I have edited and published four books for my nonprofit group of 23 talented poets. We hold a Children's Poetry Contest each April and have a donor for the monetary prizes which will help continue the art of poetry in the future.

God, family, friends and service are very important to me. You might call me a philanthropist. Because I did not have much, I want others to have more and I love to help people, sometimes anonymously.

Here are the books I have written:
THE SANDS OF RHYME - Inspirational Poetry, out of print
SMALL CHANGE - True story of my life as a child during THE GREAT DEPRESSION, out of print
DADDY WAS A BAD BOY - My Memoir (to be bought from me)
OUT OF THE ORDINARY SHORT STORIES - Inspirational stories about Angels and God-Incidences. I had an out of body experience as a child or seven. www.Authorhouse.com
HEARTS ON THE MEND - 12 different stories about heart disease and the aftermath. www.PublishAmerica.com
FRANCIS, NOT THE SAINT - Memoir with a surprise ending, www.Amazon.com, www.CreateSpace.com, www.BooksofExcellence.com
THE ADVENTURES OF FLOSSIE, ROBBIE, AND JUNEY During the Great Depression www.Amazon.com, www.CreateSpace.com
FRANCISO, NO EL SANTO - Spanish translation of FRANCIS, NOT THE SAINT, CCB Publishing, Canada, www.Amazon.com
GATHERING GRACES - Winning poetry - www.Cyberwit.net
SELECT SANDS OF RHYME AND REASON, Poetry and Short Stories - www.Cyberwit.net
SIMPLE PLEASURES - a young children's book - www.Cyberwit.net

Websites: http://alongstoryshort.net/FlorianaHall.html
www.LSSWritingSchool.com under YOU, ME, AND POETRY
www.BooksofExcellence.com

Q. How long have you been writing? What made you put those first words down on paper?

I have been writing since I was a child of seven, but the poems were lost in our many moves during The Great Depression. I always loved nursery rhymes as a child and tried to write my own.

Q. Do you write in a particular genre? If so, what genre is it?

Mostly family and poetry

Q. Have you been published?

Yes, all twelve books, and in many magazines and poetry books. Special is my story THE ROCKING CHAIR in CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE SOUL - Living Catholic Faith.

Q. How long did it take to write and publish?

Each book took about a year to write.

Q. What was the process?

When my daughter, Cindy, who teaches fifth grade in another state, asked me to write SMALL CHANGE, my life flashed before me like a TV screen. I wrote it down, typed it and edited the true story, found a printer, and typed it myself on the printing machine. The printer passed away a long time ago and that is why I published THE ADVENTURES OF FLOSSIE, ROBBIE, AND JUNEY During The Great Depression.

Q. Who’s your favorite author and why?

One of my favorite authors is Maeve Binchy because she writes in a wholesome manner, which I always try to do.

Q. How did you deal with rejection letters, if you received any?

Actually, I have never had a rejection letter except some poetry websites have not accepted my rhyming poetry because I presume they like free verse. I also write free verse but prefer rhyme.

Q. What, in your opinion, are the most important elements of good writing?

In my opinion, writing in an easy to understand manner is important because the 75% of people who do read do not comprehend beyond the eighth grade level.

Q. How do you develop your plots/characters, ideas/concepts ? Do you use any set formula?

It seems that most of what I write has happened. Of course, I change names and add some fiction to the nonfiction. However, I have found that truth is stranger than fiction.

Q. What do you do to unwind and relax?

I do water exercise at the local Natatorium at least three times every week. I sit in the sun and meditate. I love to attend church and find it spiritually inspiring.

Q. What do you like to read?

Mostly, I like to read the Bible, the newspapers and biographies.

Q. What does your family feel about your writing? Are they supportive?

Some of them are very supportive, and a few do not read books.

Q. What inspires you? Who inspires you?
I have been inspired in church and at five AM some mornings. Poetry literally pops into my head upon waking. I have to type it up on the computer immediately just so I do not forget it. It is sometimes said that angels come at five AM. Credit for my poetry belongs to God.

Q. Are you working on any projects right now?

Yes, I am starting to write a sequel to my small children's book, a SIMPLE PLEASURES 2.

Q. How do you handle Writer’s Block?

Take it with a grain of salt because it does not last long. I am so busy trying to fulfill my mission of making a difference in the world with my stories and poetry that I never dwell on negatives. I have been that way since my childhood. It is a waste of time to dwell on anything in the past or to worry about anything, especially writer's block. Today is what counts.

Q. What is most frustrating about writing? Most rewarding?

The most frustrating thing about writing is when my computer freezes or acts up. The most rewarding thing about writing is when I receive letters from fifth grade students telling me they learned to appreciate what they have after they or their teachers read my book THE ADVENTURES OF FLOSSIE, ROBBIE, AND JUNEY During The Great Depression. I love speaking at schools and answering the student's questions.

Q. Do you have any kind of writing schedule?

I tend to write in the morning before I go to water exercise. I spend about one and one half hours a day on the computer.

Q. What is the best piece of advice you’ve been given as a writer? What’s the worst?

Best advice - to write with feeling and use some metaphor, but not too much.
Worst advice - to change one of my winning poems into free verse.

Q. If I were sitting down to write my very first story, what would your advice be?

Perhaps the best way is to make a draft and/or outline and decide which tense works best for the particular book. Start with an eye catching first sentence.

Q. What is your best advice for getting published?

For a first book, my personal opinion is to self publish and get your name out there. If you are young, perhaps it is a good idea to send out manuscripts. At my age, time is an important element.

Q. What has been the single most important part of your success?

If I am successful, it has been at living my life in the best way possible, to be of service to others, smile and always be kind. My motto is 'The secret of life is not to take it personally.'

MEASURE OF SUCCESS

Success can mean so many things,
Diplomas high school or college bring.
A job obtained, a job well done
Means satisfaction for everyone.
A chance meeting, the person of your dreams
A happy ending to any schemes,
A perfect party without any glitches,
A singing voice without stray pitches.
Putting puzzles together with all the pieces,
Solving a problem, war that ceases,
Listening to others with empathy,
Saying right words of sympathy,
Smiles as warm as the sun above,
Hugs and kisses to show true love.
A pleasant greeting, a pleasant time
Though there are many mountains to climb.
Success is meeting opportunity half way,
Doing your best, with dues to pay.
A prayer answered, return to health,
Making ends meet, spiritual wealth.
Success is coping despite adversity,
Making the most of diversity.
Success can come to everyone
Like sleep refreshes when day is done.

Floriana Hall – June 18, 2006

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ampersands: Pretty Is as Pretty Does

   By Carolyn Howard-Johnson Author of the multi award-winning HowToDoItFrugally Series of books for writers   Have you noticed how ampersands turn to gibberish when they are entered into some blog services like Google's blogpsot.com? That is only the beginning of problems ampersands cause for editors, and publishers of all kinds. Many of the difficulties they cause go unnoticed except by the publishing pros we would all like to impress like agents, librarians, bookstore event directors, and the acquisition editors at Knopf!    That's why I added a new section to the second edition of the winningest book in my #HowToDoItFrugally Series of books for writers,  The Frugal Editor . Because ampersands seem to be so popular these days, it's especially important for editors and authors who publish books to know a little about their history, how to use them, and how gatekeepers and readers of Lynn Truss's famous zero-tolerance a

On Writing Chase Scenes

By Carolyn Howard-Johnson Author of  The Frugal Editor,  the winning-est  in her award-winning HowToDoItFrugally Series of books for writers This article is excerpted from some editing I did for a writer of experimental fiction when I was on a Greater Los Angeles Writers Society panel writer of any genre can apply these suggestions to the chase, getaway, or high action scene in your script or manuscript before you send it to an agent or publisher or, better still, while you are writing the first draft.  Sometimes even the most fascinating, interesting and irresistible  detail can slow down the forward movement of your story. So as much as writers are told that detail is important, purge as much as you can from your action scenes and put it somewhere else or dribble it into narrative in other places in your manuscript. In the process, ask yourself if your reader really needs to know the color of the protagonist’s eyes. As important as detail is, some is better left to t

MARGARET FIELAND INTERVIEW (guest blogger)

When did you first know you were destined to be a writer? LOL, I never realized I was destined to be a writer -- I fell into it. I'd written poetry for years, collecting it in notebooks stacked in my attic when I wrote one I wanted to keep. This led me to several online sites and ultimately to discovering the Muse Online Writers Conference where I hooked up with Linda Barnett Johnson and joined her writers forums. She required everyone to write both fiction and poetry, so, with much trepidation, I started writing fiction. Then I got hooked on it, wrote a chapter book, took the ICL course and actually learned how to write it. Then in 2010, I was seized by a desire to write a sci fi novel, so I spent six weeks or so on world building, mostly, with a bit of plotting thrown in for good measure. Who would you cite as your influences? I'm a way-back sci-fi fan, and Robert A. Heinlein influenced me heavily. I took a lot away from his writing, notably the value of surpris